I’m been searching for an application to convert some of my Opera bookmarks to a Link/URL table format as a spreadsheet in Excel or CSV format for several months now and I think have finally found one fits the bill (otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this )
I basically wanted to transfer my current list of bookmarks to downloads and sites that I haven’t checked out in detail in Wikidpad which I store most of my personal Todo lists. More on Wikidpad in the future.
While I usually try not to recommend shareware here at The Download Munkey if freeware and open source alternatives exist, but at this time I’m hard-pressed to say if there are any other software (even commercial) that surpasses Bookmark Buddy‘s capabilities and flexibility in converting and exporting bookmarks. I do know there are free software to convert bookmarks for transferring between broswers, but I definitely haven’t seen any that can export to CSV (yet).
Below’s a a quick 3 step guide on using Bookmark Buddy to export your bookmarks to a more processable format (is there such a thing as processable?)
Import your bookmark list.
Mark folders and bookmarks that you wish to export (not needed if you just want to export everything in the list.)
Select format to export to. Remember to check Include only marked bookmarks if you’re exporting a partial list and you’re done!
The example here uses Opera since that’s the only browser I use but the other major browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox are also supported by Bookmark Buddy, of course.
Export and conversion of bookmarks is only one of the many features available in Bookmark Buddy. To be honest, I’m not exactly familiar with Bookmark Buddy since I only used it for an hour or so to convert my Opera bookmarks to CSV but here’s a list of the more usable features I found while fiddling with it last weekend.
- A central repository for storing, organizing and visiting internet bookmarks in your preferred browser. Should be very useful for people who regularly use different browsers and want to share the bookmarks between them without the hassle of trying to keep the bookmarks in every broswer in sync.
- Delete duplicate bookmarks via Edit > Manage Duplicates
- Scheduling of bookmarks to visit using Smart Folders.
- Checking of updates to your bookmarks in the background so that you don’t waste time visiting sites that haven’t been updated or have been moved or disappeared.
- Encryption of your list of bookmarks with a 128 bit Blowfish algorithm for the paranoid.
MORE @ THE DOWNLOAD MUNKEY:
NirSoft.net – My First Stop for Quality Utilities
Foxit Reader vs PDF-XChange Viewer vs Sumatra
Combining PDFs with PDFTKBuilder
Lifehacker.com – Productivity and Software Guide